Monday, June 20, 2016

Solstice

The mercury drops mercifully, shedding the load of humidity she’s carried strapped on her back since the break of day when dawn stretched her sleepy arms up into the clouds.  The sun is on the backend now, making her slow decent in the evening sky.  At this moment, she’s aligned her column of light with the tops of my blossoming day lilies, casting her glow across the bright orange petals stretching their necks to be seen above ferocious weeds attempting to choke the color from neglected beds.  My yard, like my hair, and other aspects of my life is wild. I can’t be bothered to tame any of them.
 
Dogs bark, kids at play sing out to each other in muffled lyrics I’m not meant to make out, but their little voices I recall so clearly.  It was only yesterday when my boys giggled with glee pulling sunfish out of the pond out back. Evening, just before the sun sets is the best time to fish, as the water grows eerily still and swimmers make their presence known leaving reverberating circles upon its surface.

A cool breeze is blowing now.  As I sit here the first lightening bugs begin their game of tag, emitting intermittent, iridescent clues.  It’s the gloaming on the longest day of the year.  And it’s been forever since I took the time to sit outside, tuck the world in bed, and hold her hand until she falls asleep. It’s almost time to turn the nightlight on:  Tonight it’s the Strawberry Moon.  

Sweet dreams and welcome to summer.

1 comment:

  1. living is summer time easy ... credit life weeds and all

    ReplyDelete